Aviation.ca - Your Number One Source for Canadian Aviation News, Jobs and Information!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Seneca College or University of Western Ontario?

Seneca College or University of Western Ontario? 8 years 3 months ago #17094

• Shahzeb
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello there fellas,
I am very new to this community. I am a 17 year old High School student. Flying an aircraft is my passion and my future goal is to become a Pilot. Since I will be applying soon for my further studies in either college or university, I need a suggestion.

I reearched a lot about the institutions close to me in Ontario which are offering Pilot programs. I found University of Western Ontario and Seneca College close to me. Both of these are offering Pilot training programs. UWO is offering a Commercial Aviation Program with BMOS degree http://mos.uwo.ca/cam/. On the other hand, Seneca is offering Aviation Flight Degreee Program with a Bachelor of Applied Technology http://aviation.senecac.on.ca/

I want to know which one I should choose. Some people say that Universities offer better education than colleges. But from what I have heard, Seneca is a great choice for Aviation in Ontario. Also, please tell me which one of these programs will benefit me in future in getting employed by Airliners?

Thank you.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Shahzeb.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Seneca College or University of Western Ontario? 8 years 3 months ago #17116

Hi,

I think that ultimately this is a decision you need to think carefully about. Although both Seneca and Western offer \"degrees\", there are major differences between a technical college degree and a business degree from a university. The university degree opens many doors, including the possibility of going to grad school and getting an MBA or law degree (if your medical ever falls through). Although Seneca's technical degree is regarded as being equal to a university degree in many aviation circles, it does not give you the same opportunities and internationally it's viewed as a lesser education.

Otherwise, you can expect excellent flight training from both schools but the upperhand probably goes to Seneca. Seneca beats UWO from a reputation perspective, as it has a long history with many graduates out in the industry. UWO has only graduated 6 classes of students so they're still developing a reputation. However, grads from UWO have found success in many areas and are building a good reputation.

Also, UWO is more expensive than Seneca because flight training is not subsidized by the government. I don't know the exact numbers, but flying at UWO is no more expensive than flying privately and doing a degree on your own but significantly more than Seneca's program.

From an academic perspective, UWO has the upper hand. You will get a full business degree, which is an asset in itself, and about 10 courses of aviation training taught by prof.'s who have written the books on the subjects and are at the top of their game.

Lifestyle-wise, I know that UWO has a reputation as a fun party school (which you have to be careful of if you tend to prefer holding a cold drink in your hand over a textbook). I'm not sure what the scene is like around Seneca.

Overall, my advice is that if your goal is only to work as a pilot you're probably better to go to Seneca. It's cheaper and has a long history. If you want to develop additional skills beyond just piloting that will allow you to work in management (should you lose your medical or if you want to climb the ladder faster) go to UWO. Just keep in mind that UWO has the highest admission standards of any aviation progarm around (you need around an 85% average to get in).

Best of luck figuring this all out!

Re:Seneca College or University of Western Ontario? 8 years 3 months ago #17117

By the way, I found a new website UWO is working on. I don't think it has been officially launched yet but I found it through google (www.flyuwo.com)

Re:Seneca College or University of Western Ontario 8 years 3 months ago #17118

Hi,
Another college to check out is Sault College. Yes it is in Sault Ste Marie, but the cost of living is much cheaper. The tuition is about $1800/semester and includes all your flying. You have access to the Fresca 2 simulator from 2nd semester onwards. You leave the program with roughly 200hrs, Multi-IFR. I strongly recommend this program. It gives you a Technology Diploma. But if your ultimate goal is flying as a pilot and not management then I recommend this program. Several people at BA went through this program. Another one to check out is Confederation College. It seems more geared to Pilots who want a job right out of College. It will give you a CPL but no multi, instead you get a Float rating. They are always looking for bush pilots. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Ian

Re:Seneca College or University of Western Ontario? 8 years 3 months ago #17120

• Shahzeb
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you very much for your replies. I am focusing on UWO. As you said, there could be a downside anytime and the BMOS degree could help me at that time. While looking at flight training, I think flight training is almost the same at every institution. The only good thing about Seneca is that it has a good history. While looking at UWO, they have some professionals in there too and will provide good training.

When I was searching, there are several Universities in USA which provide Flight School with a BMOS degree. By reading the reviews of the Pilots, they said that the BMOS degree has helped them a lot since it gave them experience and it opened more doors for career opportunities. Anyways, I have kept UWO as my 1st target then Seneca 2nd.

Login to remove

Login to remove

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Aviation.ca is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Copyright © 1997-2015 Skytech Dynamics Corporation, All rights reserved exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank

Login or Register