Aviation.ca - Your Number One Source for Canadian Aviation News, Jobs and Information!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cessna 182 TRG vs Texas Skyway conversion

Cessna 182 TRG vs Texas Skyway conversion 1 year 9 months ago #20516

• Brad Reid
  • Junior Boarder
I'm looking at buying a 182 for cross country flights from Winnipeg, MB to Kelowna, BC, about 300 miles is through the mountains. Can anyone recommend the better option for cross country mountain flying? The turbo O-540 with retractable gear is fuel injected vs. more hp (285) in the carburetored texas skyway conversion. I'm also interested in short field capabilities. Anyone know what these two variants can do on a short field?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cessna 182 TRG vs Texas Skyway conversion 1 year 9 months ago #20519

• Andrew
  • Platinum Boarder
I do know the 182RG is not good for grass or rough surfaces since the wheels are quite small in diameter compared to the fixed gear variant. 172RG has the same problem.

The Turbo O-540 in the 182RG is carbureted. I remember my mechanic showing me a TR182 in his shop saying it was a bugger to get set up properly.

For flights through the mountains, I would think the TR182 would be best for your mission, and also for the short fields if they are paved. There will obviously be an insurance premium with the RG to consider. Everyone I've talked to with a turbo says the climb is spectacular with lots of power all the way up to the critical altitude, which would make me think it's best for mountain flying. If I was looking for the simplest plane of the two that still did a good job, I'd say the fixed gear 182 with the Texas Skyways.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Login to remove

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds

Aviation.ca is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Copyright © 1997-2013 Skytech Dynamics Corporation, All rights reserved

Login or Register