Aviation.ca - Your Number One Source for Canadian Aviation News, Jobs and Information!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendation?

Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendation? 11 years 2 months ago #5115

• bam
Hi!!

I'm looking to take an introductory flight class on the Toronto Island Downtown Airport. I'm right downtown at Queens Quay. I'm deciding between Island Air and Canadian Flyers? Which one do you recommend? What time should I book the flight? Any specific instructors you suggest I should ask for? If you have any other tidbits of information thanks. I've never flown before, but i'm excited to try it out...

In terms of pricing, this is what I got.

Island Air 416.203.6242
30mins Introductory flight.
2 seater $90 (cessna 150, 90 horse)
4 seater $110 (cessna 172 , 110horse)
NB: Depending on comfort level, instructor might let you land.

Canadian Flyers 416.203.9003
30 mins
30 ground instruction
$80.25
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendati 11 years 2 months ago #5116

• Illo A Neri
  • Platinum Boarder
Bam

If you have the time and money, then fly with both!

Be brutally honest with them, telll them you are shopping around for a school which will teach you to fly and look after your needs (scheduling, how they look after last minute changes, whether or not they are there to build time for instructors or look after students).

Also, ask how for in advance you need to book an instructional trip. Some places need 2-3 weeks lead time, especially if you only fly weekends.

In the end, the days of crappy flying schools are gone. If any exist, they do not exist for long, as word of mouth carries a lot of weight in the Canadian Aviation Industry.

Also, enjoy every second you get airborne! Either decide to sight see the first time, or blow that off and tell the instructor you want to fly the damn thing!

Have fun! keep us posted...

illo

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendation? 11 years 2 months ago #5118

• ATC
  • Expert Boarder
I used to fly with Canadian Flyers out of their Barrie, Midland, and Collingwood bases and found them to be a good operation. I dont know of Island Air. Also I'd agree with Illo, shop them both and be honest. $80 or $90 spent to be happy in flight training is nothing in the big picture.
- YYZ ATC -

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendation? 11 years 2 months ago #5120

• Sydney
  • Platinum Boarder
Or...if you cannot afford to try both, one's likely as good as the other. Having said that: I've met/talked to many people who used Canadian. Have yet to meet/talk to anyone who used Island.

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendati 11 years 2 months ago #5121

• Oshawapilot
  • Expert Boarder
Those prices seem high..or is it just me?

Famflights here in Oshawa are still $60, last I looked.

But I agree, checkout several locations - the famflight is your best (and cheapest) intro to flying lessons, and they will give you alot of insight on what the school has to offer in the way of equipment, instructors, and facilities.

As for time, that's pretty irrelevant for the sort of flying you'll be doing on a famflight, IMHO. The early morning and late evening hours are nicest, IMHO, if you want nice smooth air.

In my case, I went for three fam flights before deciding that the school was a good fit, and the instructor that I had flown all three with was a great match for me as well.
Mark, Courtice Ontario
My personal blog: \"Information Echo\".

Login to remove

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendati 11 years 2 months ago #5125

• WormBurner
  • Junior Boarder
That's the island. They put fuel surcharges and they leave out the ferry fare.

Since you're at the Quay...the island should be within walking distance. So you'll save money on the drive and the parking ($10/day).

Good luck to you!

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendation? 11 years 2 months ago #5216

• Bam
Thanks so much for your input guys, it was awesome. I went with Canadian Flyers. The flight instructor was great. It was amazing to see Toronto from up above. Makes me appreciate our city that much more and to see how beautiful it is was :)

Thanks again.

cheers...

Re:Toronto Introductory Flight Class. Recommendation? 11 years 2 months ago #5233

• goodro
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
$80 for a fam flight? $10 for parking? What's their dual rate for a 172? Guess I take living in a medium sized town for granted. But then, I have to look down the runway for deer and cows before rolling. :lol:

Good points guys & I agree; shop around. Sometimes, as I found out, you don't know what you're missing...

To give you an example, I live 5 minutes away from two schools. I had some rough times with the maintenance at one (which I won't get into but it was very serious and on three seperate aircraft) the other, I couldn't get flights because it was so busy (not to mention, their instructors seemed to have better things to do). There are actually 5 schools in our area and I took fam flights at 4 of them when I decided I needed to change schools. (I heard nasty stories about one over beers so I didn't bother with them). I can tell you, I had no idea what I was missing and am glad I switched. This school is actually 25 minutes away compared to my old one which is literally just down the street. As ATC mentioned, it isn't a lot of money when you consider what you are spending in the long run and the fact that you can log the time...<br><br>Post edited by: goodro, at: 2006/06/15 15:15

Login to remove

Time to create page: 0.822 seconds

Aviation.ca is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Copyright © 1997-2015 Skytech Dynamics Corporation, All rights reserved exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank

Login or Register