Aviation.ca - Your Number One Source for Canadian Aviation News, Jobs and Information!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: good flight school in Vancouver?

good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 11 months ago #1293

• Maverick Wannabe
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a good flight school in the Vancouver area. I'm just finishing up my ppl here in ontario and I am planning on moving out west in a couple of months to start my commercial license. I'm trying to eventually become a bush pilot so I would like to find a good sea-plane course.

Cheers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 11 months ago #1310

• Mike
There are several float-training schools in the Vancouver area but no one stands out or has received significant input from the Aviation.ca members. I highly recommend Air-Hart aviation in Kelowna. Trevor worked as a bushg pilot flying single Otters and Beavers in northern Sask. for years before setting up in Kelowna.

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 11 months ago #1323

• Matt
  • Fresh Boarder
As someone who did over 70hours of training with Airhart, I'd have to recommend them as well.

http://www.air-hart.com/kelowna/flight.html

I know you said Vancouver area, however, I found that float training in Vancouver is considerably more expensive. It was suggested to me that extra maintenance from salt water damage and rougher seas coupled with higher insurance premiums was the culprit for this price difference.

If you don't know anyone in Kelowna, don't worry Airhart has a pilot house about 5 minutes from the docks. It's a nice place to meet other like minded people.

I have to warn you though, breaking into the float flying scene is difficult. As a guideline, you'd probably need to plan for at least 100hours on floats to satisfy an insurance company.
Your best bet would be to do all of the commercial training you can on floats (minus night, and spins)

If you've been talking to a float operator make sure you know their insurance minimums before you work the dock.

If you're hell bent on Vancouver check out

http://www.floatsafety.com/

Otherwise you'd do well at Airhart, I don't feel right disclosing Trevor's TT but lets just say its a big number. So if you do make the choice to go to Airhart ask for the instructor with the most experience. Trevor's an amazing guy.

Goodluck,

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 11 months ago #1350

• Maverick Wannabe
Thanks guys.
I think I'll chose Airhart.

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 10 months ago #1378

• Radek
ya, go to Airhart. Great city, nice airplanes and great guys working there. You'll be happy there. Super nice place to be doing some training.

Login to remove

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 9 months ago #1854

• Dave
Have a look at www.oceanair.ca for floats in Victoria real air-taxi operators on the coast who also train

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 8 months ago #2489

• flylady
For flight training in Vancouver the closest airport is at Boundry Bay in Delta. You have a choice of a few out there. Canadian Flight Centre has been around the longest and for what I know the best safety record. They honest bout all costs, and spent their time answering all questions even if I wasn't registered there yet. Very happy that I can fly around the ocean and mountains with them.
:cheer:

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 8 months ago #2490

• flylady
Forgot CFC flys low wing, if you like high wing go with Pacific Flying Club. But always check around and choose the one you like not who other people say and I warn you there are other schools with high pressure sales. Good Luck.

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 7 months ago #2758

• frankiko
Try Langley Flying School www.langleyflyingschool.com
They have good programs especially multi-engine. If you want to build time on multi-engine, they have a year-round multi-engine excursions where students can share the cost. Each student will fly each leg of the excusions to and from (US and Canada). Check it out.

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 11 years 7 months ago #2838

• Fred
  • Fresh Boarder
Montair Aviation,
we are the only school recocgnized in China as well as one of two schools in north america that is certified to teach in a king air,

we have alot of great bonuses and we are about 20mins tops from downtown vancouver. at boundary bay airport (CZBB)

www.montair.com<br><br>Post edited by: Fred, at: 18:56z - 2006/01/06

Login to remove

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 10 years 7 months ago #7910

• Nutbandito
So I know that this thread is old and dusty, however as a student from Ontario that transfered out to BC for some mountain time, I found this topic close to heart.

I did poking around when I first moved out here and found some info out about the some of the schools at CZBB.

I'd like to put forward my personal feelings and experiences.

If your a pilot doing it out of your own pocket I would HIGHLY suggest \"The Professional Flight Centre\" or \"Pro\".

Their appreciation and understanding for pilots go a long way, costs are low, a good fleet of aircraft both fixed and rotary wing, and instructors that are willing to help.

I asked for references from Pro and got stacks of creditable references from everywhere around the world including the Airforces from other countries.

However I now fly at Montair www.montair.com
- only for the gov money though - and I will be honest I have not had a good experince with them.

Between numerous flights being cancelled last minute due foreseeable reasons to poor orginization with duty pilots to the attitudes of the some \"professionals\" working there. All in all, I have been made to feel VERY frustrated with Montair and a large part of their staff.

Oh and be sure to ask Montair which aircraft are for Flight Training purposes and which are not. ;)

I am sure that each person will have their own experience with them, this is only from personal experiences.

I would HIGHLY suggest Professional Flight Center if you are interseted in flying near Vancouver in a productive yet still enjoyable atmosphere. Find them at www.proifr.com/index.php

*NOTE* a primary principle of advertising and marketing is retaining your return customer. Not only will they return to provide recurring funds BUT they will also be more then happy to spread your good name to others. However this works in reverse if you piss off your target market - student pilots - what will happen in the long run?

Aviation industry is a industry filled with pride, honor and danger. With this in mind rules/laws/SOPS need to be followed but where does it say that people have to be knobs in order to be professional and safe?

I am willing to go in to details about either \"The Professional Flight Centre\" or \"Montair\" let me know if you have questions.

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 10 years 6 months ago #8303

• randall g
  • Junior Boarder
I second the recommendation for Pro IFR at Boundary Bay. I am currently training for my Instrument Rating (single engine) there and all the instructors have been great. They are the largest IFR school around and they have a very good in house syllabus. They do monthly intensive seminars for IFR and other ratings to help you with the exam (students from other flight schools attend these). They have 3 twins if you are interested in multi. They have a float plane division which I know little about. Pacific Flying Club has the largest fleet of 172's at the airport.

The guy from Montair said:

we are about 20mins tops from downtown vancouver. at boundary bay airport

Well I don't know how to put this gently but this is a bald faced lie. Maybe in a Porsche at 3am. I live downtown and in lighter traffic (mid-morning, evening) it is 35 minutes at least, and into the rush hours can reach 60 minutes. A statement like that leads me to think the guy critical of Montair has a point.<br><br>Post edited by: randallg, at: 2007/02/06 07:18

Re:good flight school in Vancouver? 10 years 6 months ago #8309

• Stephen
  • Platinum Boarder
I have no personal experience with PRO IFR but I do know someone who not only got her multi IFR rating there but also started working for PRO IFR as a dispatcher (among other duties). She spoke extremely highly of the establishment and told me about the 1 day seminars that are held there. She mentioned that there are people who come in from all over the place to take this 1 day course. The following is a description of this very course which is held on a regular basis. I also recently met an AC pilot who continues to teach in Abbotsford, BC and he too spoke very highly of PRO IFR at Boundry Bay.

Good luck...

IFR 1-DAY REFRESHER-SEMINAR OVERVIEW

A fast moving and interactive “update” seminar designed to prepare you for the oral portion of the IFR flight test and help prepare you for the technical type of IFR questions that often are asked on an interview. This course really helps you “think IFR”. John regularly teaches this course for everybody from Transport Canada Inspectors to the Corporate and Commercial community in addition to our own students. This course is run every 28 days in Vancouver and three times a year in Victoria.

The following topics are covered in a more practical nature in our excellent One Day “hard-hitter”, The IFR Refresher Seminar:

· IFR Flight Test Preparation
· Flight Planning Considerations
· Preferred Routes
· Aircraft Control Rules of Thumb
· IFR Navigational Rules of Thumb
· 5 Phases of an IFR Cross-country
· Alternate Minima
· Cleared for the Approach…
· Accident Investigation
· Takeoff Minima & Departure Procedures
· Holding Patterns
· Straight In Approaches (Radar Vectored/Pilot Navigation)
· ILS Tips…
· Landing Minima
· Approach Ban (RVR)
· Missed Approach Point (MAP)
· Circling Procedures
· Takeoff Minima & Departure Procedure Scenarios
· Enroute Scenarios
· Approach Scenarios (Precision and Non-Precision)
· What to expect on an IFR Flight Test…
· Discussion and Questions…

Saturday 0830 to 1730 hours

Login to remove

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Aviation.ca is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Copyright © 1997-2015 Skytech Dynamics Corporation, All rights reserved exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank

Login or Register