Aviation.ca - Your Number One Source for Canadian Aviation News, Jobs and Information!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Retirement Job Prospects

Retirement Job Prospects 4 months 3 weeks ago #20723

• Jake
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been working in a factory for the past 30 years, and looking forward to retiring. One of the things I'd like to do after factory work is fly planes, and maybe fly part time somewhere in Canada's sports paradise, or further north. An example might be flying for a scientist or other researcher who needs to get to remote places with equipment.

When I was about 21, I went to a place called Southwest Air and had an introductory flight, and then a first lesson, in a Cessna 172. The instructor flew in an upward spiral, and then set the plane level, and said, "Now you do it."
I did exactly what he did, and had no problem with it. For some reason, I never went back. It wasn't because I was scared, because I wasn't. I was quite comfortable in that plane. I wish I had continued and finished the training.

I've never lost my desire to fly, but life got in the way. I still hope to get my PPL as soon as I can. Where I live, it costs $10,000 for the training, or about $280 per hour, for 50 hours. A few years ago I went back to that same company (different name now), and got my ROC-A certification. My point with that was to get something done that I could do now, since it was so simple. It's just a small step, so why not. I can't get training the same way, because you can't go just once in a while.

If I could fly part time in rural locations, I would only be interested in flying small planes, like a Cessna Caravan, or maybe a Kodiak. Flying for a company like Federal Express, flying to small towns and hamlets, would be ideal.

So I'm wondering what kind of a job a 50+ retiree, with let's say 500 - 1000 hours, could expect in an area like northern Ontario.

As soon as I can afford to spend at least $300/ week for lessons, I'll go back for training, and finish this time.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Jake.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Retirement Job Prospects 3 months 2 weeks ago #20724

• Frank
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Jake,
If you are ready to get your commercial pilots license, I'm certain you will be able to find an outfit that would take you in.
I would always recommend you get your instrument rating if you plan on doing any type of commercial operation.
F.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Login to remove

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Aviation.ca is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Copyright © 1997-2015 Skytech Dynamics Corporation, All rights reserved exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank
exogenous-blank

Login or Register